Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Best Friends (novel)

Best Friends by Martha Moody

This one was a pretty decent read. I picked it up at a used book sale, drawn in by the "National Bestseller" label across the front. It seemed like it would make for good reading on a relaxing day.

Well, the relaxing day didn't come until last week, when I had lots of solo traveling to do. Once I got a few pages in, I was on a roll and finished pretty quickly. Best Friends is the tale of two women who meet as freshmen in college. One is from Ohio and the other is from LA. They're a bit of a mismatched pair, but their relationship blossoms and the book follows their lives for the next 25 years or so.

A few times, I felt like I could guess how it was all going to end, but then I'd realize that I still had hundreds of pages to go and there was more likely more to it than I was anticipating. There are secrets and lies and some unexpected twists. I found myself wishing this could be turned into a movie. Why remake old stuff when we can have a good story like this one on the big screen?

If you're interested, I'd be glad to send you my copy.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. I've had this book sitting on my shelf, unread, for more than a year. You're the second friend of mine who's read it now. I guess I'll have to get to it.

    ReplyDelete