Thursday, December 3, 2009

Look Me in the Eye : My Life with Asperger's

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's was written by John Elder Robinson, brother of famous author Augusten Burroughs. He definitely shares his brother's twisted humor and knack for telling a story!

I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I found it completely fascinating to see how the mind of person with Asperger's works. He writes about his life from early childhood to the present and how he's changed along the way.

The writing is very straight forward, not surprising coming from the literal mind of an Aspie! The insights into his disorder are very enlightening. I especially like when he discuses how he processes conversations. An early passage about how he realized what the appropriate responses to a classmate showing him a new truck had me cracking up, because it reminded me so much of my older daughter.

He often doesn't come across as a particularly likeable, though. He plays lots of pranks and tends not to care about others' feelings.

I definitely recommend this one! I promised a copy to Lisa many months ago, let me know if you are still interested!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd love it! Do you have my address?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked my email and it's still sitting in there. Will have them out to you soon!

    ReplyDelete