Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rules

Rules by Cynthia Lord is actually a book for kids, grade level is 4 - 7th grade.

The book is about twelve year old Catherine and her feelings for her younger brother David, who has autism. There's also a subplot about Catherine and a boy she meets (and likes) who is nonverbal, in a wheelchair and communicates with picture cards.

This is a wonderful book to discuss with kids regarding disability. I think it should be required reading for kids in school! Lots of great things to discuss. I bet most school age kids didn't know you could communicate by picture cards!

My older daughter read it a few months ago, at the end of second grade. It was a great excuse to discuss her feelings about her sister. When I read about Catherine's conflicted feelings about her brother, I wondered if my daughter felt that way about her sister.

Definitely recommend it for siblings of kids with disabilities!

This one's up for grabs!

1 comment:

  1. I'd love this one, too. This looks like it would be a good one for both Kevin and Joey.

    ReplyDelete