Friday, June 19, 2009

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison: The upside of spending so much time at the hospital while Michael sleeps is that I've had plenty of time to read. This was probably not the best book to have chosen during this particular time, however, as it's rather dark and disturbing (I could use something a bit lighter and more uplifting right now). This is the story of Pecola Breedlove, a young black girl growing up in the 1930s, and wishing for blue eyes, which in her mind symbolize the epitome of whiteness, and therefore beauty, worthiness, love, and acceptance. It tells the story of her steady destruction by those around her. Themes include racial hatred, racial self-loathing, domestic abuse, incest, and poverty. Toni Morrison is a beautiful writer, and this, her first novel, is apparently highly acclaimed. I think I would have appreciated it more under different circumstances.

It's up for grabs - lemme know.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this classic. It's very timeless and worth the read. I will definitely recommend it to my book club.
    visit site for Software Download Microsoft information website

    ReplyDelete