Friday, July 23, 2010

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest


The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

This, the final installment of the Millenium Trilogy, picks up exactly where The Girl Who Played With Fire left off, with our unlikely heroine, Lisbeth Salander, critically injured. Whereas I could hardly put the first two books in this series down, this one took me close to a month to read - partly because I'm still trying to figure out how to read productively on my iPad, and partly because this book is quite a bit less action-packed than its two predecessors. It was a bit of a disappointment to have most of this installment play out with Lisbeth confined to a hospital room; she's much more fun when she's out kicking bad guys' asses. This book contains a lot of background on the players in the story, as well as strategic planning on the parts of both the good guys and the bad guys, and the action doesn't really pick up until nearer to the end. It's worth reading to wrap up the trilogy, but I didn't find it as compelling as the first two. Still, Lisbeth Salander is definitely one of the most memorable characters in contemporary fiction, and I am looking forward to movie versions of these books.

1 comment:

  1. It was definitely the weakest of the three books. Aside from the trial, it was a bit too much political intrigue for me. It's too bad the author died, I was wondering about the mysterious twin sister. Maybe he would have gone into that in future books.

    ReplyDelete