Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County (novel)



Hmmm. The cover touts this as "THE NATIONALLY ACCLAIMED BESTSELLER." I don't get it.

It tells the story of Truly, a giant (literally; she is born with the condition acromegaly) living in a small town. Being a person with a condition that makes her vastly different from the people around her subjects her to the predictable taunts and rejection, made all the more extreme since she grows up in the shadow of her beautiful, petite, seemingly perfect sister. Eventually Truly's perfect sister leaves town, and in the aftermath of her disappearance, Truly is left to hold together the small, dysfunctional family her sister leaves behind. Truly discovers the secrets stitched together in an old quilt made by a long-dead descendant of her brother-in-law, and suddenly finds herself holding the power to heal and to harm in the palm of her hand.

I suppose this story is about how love can transcend everything. The author has a knack for writing with a very colorful hand and creating larger-than-life characters. I liked her storytelling style, but not so much the actual story. I stuck with it to the end, but found that I never grew attached to any of the characters and was glad when I finally turned the last page.

That said, this book has gotten some really good reviews on Barnes & Noble and Amazon, so maybe it's just me. Anyone want my copy? It's up for grabs.

The book I'm working my way through now oughta make for some interesting discussion.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I'll take a shot at it. Do you still have my address?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I still have your address. I'll get it in the mail to you in the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually really enjoying this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete