Monday, July 6, 2009

Bad Mother, Bad Book

I just finished reading Ayelet Waldman's book Bad Mother. I didn't love it.

I found Waldman to be whiny and unlikable, to be honest. It seems like she lives in her own little overprivileged bubble where children should be perfect and shiny accessories, and her own self-absorption clouds every interaction she has. She didn't seem to be saying anything that I haven't heard before, about the competition between mothers and how we all feel like we're not doing a good job.

Maybe I went into the book already not liking her. I give her credit for discussing her "genetic termination" of a baby with a chromosomal abnormality that may or may not have resulted in any symptoms or problems. But I just didn't like her for it. It seemed like a really selfish move on her part, especially since her husband wanted to have the baby. I try hard not to judge other people in difficult situations, but I just couldn't help myself. Sorry.

Anyway, thanks to Megan for passing it on, as it WAS marginally entertaining. It's ready to ship to someone else if any of you want it!

No comments:

Post a Comment